There are a number of things you can do to get more students completing Missions.
Here's a few:
- Don't make Knowledgehook "extra" work. You may choose to give Knowledgehook as one of two options but students, like most people, don't usually like doing extra work.
- Make it count for marks. We don't recommend giving marks based on getting correct answers (this is formative and it is all about the journey of learning!) but certainly marks for perseverance or demonstration of 'learning skills' is legit. Some teachers use the the Mathalon as the goal, others use completing all assigned Missions as the goal.
- Give time in class to do the work. There is a lot that can be observed if you are in class when students are doing the work and more students will complete the tasks as well.
- No more than 10 minutes of homework! Think about keeping any homework to a size that can be completed in about 10 minutes.
- Put easier questions at the beginning. Nothing hurts more than hitting a brick wall right out of the gate.
- Care about and discuss results. Together with students, look at the (anonymous) reports and discuss where the class is at and what next steps might be good to take. Formative assessment is valuable for everyone!
- Invite parents and share results with them or ask them to observe certain missions and report back what they saw their child struggle with.
- You can un-launch/Disable the Mission which would remove it from all students, and relaunch it tomorrow when class starts again if you don't want students working on it from home. You would not be able to access the report during the time the assessment is un-launched though. You can click on the edit pencil next to the view button and click on the unlaunch button. Make sure to not click on Remove Mission link to the right side of the edit box as this would remove and delete it completely.
Can we restrict access to missions so kids can’t do them at home and get parent help?
No but what you could manually do is un-launch the Mission at the end of class. This will remove the Mission from access for the students. You can then launch the Mission again at the start of class and all progress will be saved. This is just something you would have to do manually as it's not a feature.
Can we change the number of chances students get to respond to a kickoff mission question?
The only option would be to change the activity to Assessment Mode which would turn it into a test. The student would have one chance to answer it and wouldn't know if they got it right or wrong. They would not know the outcome of this activity and you would need to manually tell them how they did on it afterwards
Good luck and if you have any other great tips please do share. firstname.lastname@example.org